Wednesday, August 3, 2016

The Supergirl TV Show


If you haven't heard already, Supergirl has moved from CBS to CW. I missed the first season when it originally aired, and have now started watching the reruns. It's not bad, I have to say, it's not bad at all. And now that the show is on the same network as The Flash and Arrow, Supergirl is now officially part of their universe along with the characters from LEGENDS OF TOMORROW. That's really cool. DC continues to move towards a Justice Society of America (JSA) show and, hopefully, a CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS or a INFINITE CRISIS story situation maybe even involving the movie universe!


So I'm two episodes into the first season and I have some thoughts. Nothing really bad to say, just like the other shows that share this universe, there's a certain amount of cheesiness to it. I think there's just the right amount though, much like the Flash show has just enough to keep it fun without any eye rolling moments.

Here's the thing I kept thinking though, try to follow me here, I think Supergirl is a Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) character in a DC/WB Studios television show. What I mean is, her story and character are sticking to easy comic book troupes that are resemble something in a Marvel comic book rather than a DC comic book and could easily be a MCU character by switching around a few things.

Examples:

She's a mild mannered assistant to an editor of a major metropolitan newspaper. Yes, this is also kind of how Clark Kent got going in classic Superman comics, but stay with me. Because of her age and this air of innocence around her, the story reminds me more of early Spider-Man comics than it does Supergirl or Superman comics. I'm also only 2 episodes in.

Cat Grant (played by Calista Flockhart) is J. Jonah Jameson. JJ is the editor of the Daily Bugle, the newspaper Peter Parker works for. Peter is a photographer who has to listen to JJ demand negative headlines to condemn Spider-Man, despite his obvious heroics. In episode 2 (I know, it's only 2 episodes, but these are just my thoughts so far) Cat Grant starts calling for negative headlines about Supergirl which sounded a lot like my favorite person with a Hitler mustache.

Mr. J. Jonah Jameson, if you're nasty


Then there's that secret military squad that her sister is a member of that looks and sounds a lot like Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..

Last and least is her alter ego's name. Kara Danvers. Reminds me too much of Carol Danvers, Captain Marvel (formally Ms. Marvel) in the Marvel Comics Universe and soon to be played by Brie Larson in an MCU movie. This one is last and least because Danvers has been Supergirl's secret identity name in the comics before and she debuted in 1958; while Carol Danvers, as Ms. Marvel, made her debut 10 years later in 1968. So technically Supergirl had first dibs, but there's room for plenty of arguement.But I digress.

The show is fun and I'm enjoying it so far. I heard it gets better as it goes too, and introduces a lot of other DC comic characters. I will have no problem hanging on to check them out, but I'm mostly into season 1 in order to get to THIS in season 2:



Yep, SUPERMAN is officially a part of the DC TV universe!

So there are some really cool things to look forward to with this show, I am looking forward to it.

That's it for today. If you haven't already, please like my Facebook page and/or follow me on Twitter. It makes me think people are interested, so help a guy out by liking and sharing my posts. Thanks a lot! Got an awesome Friday Night Fights coming up this week so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment