Monday, October 31, 2016

TOP 5 FAVORITE HALLOWEEN MOVIES/TV SHOWS

We all enjoy Halloween right? I mean, I'm sure there are some people who flat out don't like this holiday, but who cares about them. I like Halloween. I'm not a big fan of crowds of people though, and trick or treating isn't appealing to me now like it was when I was a kid. I do enjoy putting together a costume, but I also really like to be lazy, so costumes are rare for me.

Last year, my wife and I, along with a friend tried doing a Halloween bar crawl. We dressed in costumes, and joined a mob of people at 3 of the bars in my town that stay open passed 10pm. It was OK. It turned out that I had severe bronchitis and almost didn't make it home that night. I was sick for the next 2 weeks. Needless to say, we didn't bother this year.

This year, today at this very moment in fact, I'm doing exactly what I love to do the most on Halloween. No, not answering the door for trick or treaters, that's actually my LEAST FAVORITE thing to do. Damn kids trying to take MY candy...

No, my favorite thing is watching Halloween themed entertainment. So, I'm going to give you my TOP 5 FAVORITE THINGS TO WATCH ON HALLOWEEN.

5. Random horror movie marathons on cable networks. Like Friday the 13th, or just random horror movies that I enjoy like Cabin in the Woods or the parodies like Scary Movie IV or A Haunted House 2 (I seriously really like this movie, ask me about it sometime).

4. THE GREAT PUMPKIN CHARLIE BROWN!!! Mostly for nostalgia, but also because it's a great piece of American television and terrific comic strip humor. I loved both this and the Charlie Brown Christmas special, but I believe the Great Pumpkin to be the better of the 2. Snoopy's dog fight with the Red Baron, Linus and Sally waiting for the Great Pumpkin (when she finally freaks out! Oh man, it cracks me up every time!), Charlie Brown only getting rocks while trick or treating!!! Such classic moments!

3. Halloween (the original movie from 1978). My FAVORITE Halloween movie, and arguably the best horror movie (or best SLASHER movie at least) of all time. Michael Meyers is a great villain, and the entire movie is absolutely terrifying!

2. Halloween Specials by my favorite network TV shows! The Office did some fantastic Halloween episodes, and Modern Family has one every year! The first Halloween episode I remember as a kid also scared the shit out of me! It was an episode of the Facts of Life and I was forever changed. I don't even remember what it was about, but I remember being really scared.

Another show that had stand out Halloween episodes: Community (season 2, Epidemiology).

1. The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror(s)! I have seen every single one of them and could not possibly tell you which is my favorite. I am a lifelong, hardcore Simpsons fan. First show that my parents allowed me to watch, I remember I was allowed to stay up a half hour later JUST SO I could watch The Simpsons. My favorite show of ALL TIME. The Treehouse of Horror episodes are always stand outs. As a young comic book reader, I learned about alternate universes, so an entire episode devoted to alternate universes of The Simpsons was right up my alley from the get go!


In Treehouse of Horror 2: The one with the Monkey Paw and they were all making wishes:

Lisa (whispering): I wish for world peace.
Homer: LISA! That was very selfish of you!

or in the intro to ToH 3 when Homer dares the "crybabies out there - religious types, mostly" to keep watching the show despite definitely being offended. He calls them all "Chicken" and then the lights go out and you just hear Marge and Homer's voices:

Marge: Homer, did you just call everyone "chicken"?
Homer: No, I swear on this bible!
Marge: That's not a bible, that's a book of carpet samples.
Homer: Mmm...fuzzy.

or later in that same episode when Homer buys an evil possessed talking Krusty doll for Bart and it tries to kill him. Homer comes falling into the kitchen as the doll is again trying to kill him, Marge finally sees it happen:

Homer: Marge the doll is trying to kill me and the toasters been laughing at me!

Hahahahahahaha! I love it. I could go on, but nah, just go watch them yourself.

Anyway...

What are YOUR Top 5 Favorite Things to do for Halloween? Let me know in the comments on here, or Facebook, or Twitter @SuperNerdyNews #Top5FavHalloween

No comments:

Post a Comment