Friday, March 3, 2017

LOGAN! BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVER!



I know that title seems like a bold statement, but holy hell interweb-slingers, this movie blew me away!

I hope after this week you understand how much I care about Wolverine as a character and also know that I wasn't the happiest with what we've seen so far. I'd given up hope for a great Wolverine movie, and then I saw LOGAN.

Immediately the mood and feel of this movie is felt. From the opening shot, through the opening scene and then throughout the rest of the film, there's this feeling of sorrow, loss, and hardship. LOGAN perfectly captures a main character who has felt and is feeling a tremendous amount of pain. Every move he makes, he hurts; every person he meets, gets hurt and he takes on the guilt of that loss.

Hugh Jackman is absolutely amazing. I have another bold statement to make: Hugh Jackman gets an Oscar Nomination. Seriously, he's THAT. F'ING. GOOD. Not only the best Wolverine I've ever seen, but the BEST Hugh Jackman performance that I've ever seen.

You know how I know this was a great movie? Because I welled up with tears at the end. There's a moment at the end where I nearly broke down and bawled like a baby. See it, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Patrick Stewart, also a terrific performance as a version of Professor Xavier that I never considered. He has a degenerative brain disease that causes seizures, which in turn, affect EVERYONE around him because he's the greatest telepath who ever lived. The chemistry between Stewart and Jackman is perfectly fluid, just an excellent give and take throughout the entire film. On top of playing a new version of Xavier, Stewart is also able to capture the true character of Professor X. There's several moments where the Professor X that we all know and love comes out, reminding us all of what a truly great man he was. Oh man, just go see this movie already! Hahaha, I'm writing this and shaking my head over how good it was.

X23 is so awesome! Dafne Keen is a very talented young lady! She has almost 0 dialogue and is still able to be the most interesting thing on screen! I was consistently impressed with her performance as well as her character development.

There are so many good things to talk about here, and I'm trying real hard not to spoil anything. The story was perfect. It was NOT Old Man Logan, like some people were or are expecting, but they took elements from that story and incorporated it into an original and true-to-character Wolverine story. I think part of my problem with X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE and THE WOLVERINE was that they tried to hard to adapt comic book storylines to a movie. It fell flat both times. But LOGAN took whatever mistakes were made in the previous 2 movies and corrected them beyond 100%. I knew going into this that they needed to do something more original than based on the comics, and they did. Hats off to Director/Writer James Mangold and Writer Scott Frank, who could possibly see a Best Screenplay Nomination next award season. I know it's way to early for that, but seriously, this movie was just that damn good.

To tie it all together, the soundtrack is absolutely perfect. It's haunting, somber, and captures the feelings of pain and sadness so well. Remember the Johnny Cash version of "Hurt" that played over the first trailer? Well, as great as that song is, and as well as it captured the feel of that trailer, the Cash song they play over the end credits is not only one of my favorite Cash songs, but also immaculately captures the feel of the entire movie.

I'm 100% serious about this being the Best Comic Book Movie ever made. I felt it while watching, first comparing it to SPIDER-MAN 2, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, and IRON MAN. But this movie also transcends just the CBM genre. It's a GREAT movie all around. I am finally content with a Wolverine movie. No, that's not right. I'm not content. I'm overwhelmingly happy with this Wolverine movie. They don't have to make another one, they don't have to recast and start from scratch. They could never make another Wolverine movie again, and I'd be happy. So great. Go see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment