Monday, March 20, 2017

4 Episodes into Iron Fist...



Ok, so obviously this isn't a full review of the show. 4 out of 13 episodes is, once again, obviously just initial reactions. The show itself is just starting to build up steam so I'm looking forward to what's coming.

For right now though... this is not a great show. Definitely the weakest of the Marvel Netflix series. Finn Jones is... ok as Danny Rand. I don't like how he says his name, and it happens a lot, so there's that.

The action is kind of cool. By that I mean the moves look good, but it doesn't look like they're moving at full speed and for a character that is supposed to be a kung-fu master, this Iron Fist is slow. He's making the moves, and again, they look cool but damn... the hits look weak as balls. Except for the light up fist punches. Those are really cool, and since this is only the 4th episode, I can only hope for more.

The Hand just showed up, so that's cool too.

Anyway, the show itself doesn't have a stylish feel like the other Marvel shows have. I do like that each episode is named after a different kung-fu position. Like episode 4 is titled "Eight Diagram Dragon Palm" and episode 3 was "Rolling Thunder Cannon Punch." I think they're also used in each episode in one way or another. I don't know enough about kung-fu to know. I'm a Jedi, while similar to kung-fu in mysticism and study, it's a totally different thing.

Another difference from the other Marvel shows is the performances of the secondary characters. There's no Cottonmouth in this one, or more accurately, there's no Mahershala Ali or Vincent D'onofrio. And there's no Foggy Nelson character to lighten things up a bit, just the occasional "Danny is a fish out of water" joke. Not bad by any means, but I don't know... not great either.

I guess you could say that so far I am unimpressed but I'm still into it enough to keep going. Like I said before too, it's picking up steam so I hope to see some cool stuff soon.

I'll be back with more thoughts as I continue the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment