Friday, January 6, 2017

Final Thoughts on Marvel's Civil War 2

What can I say? I'm really disappointed here. 8 issues of ANOTHER major Marvel Crossover Event. ANOTHER delayed release that pushed the final 2 issues back a month. ANOTHER direct lead in to yet ANOTHER major Marvel Crossover Event.

I closed #8 yesterday and threw the book on my coffee table. I wasn't disgusted or angry, just disappointed. I had another feeling too. Like I was done with this. I spent $5 a pop on 8 issues of a very disappointing story. I watched as some of my all time favorite characters were killed off, and tried real hard to get into the new Marvel that took over for the old 616 Universe that I had grown up with.

I'm here today to tell you that I'm done with buying monthly Marvel Comics. It's not because Civil War 2 sucked, cause it didn't "suck". I really enjoyed how the characters interacted with each other, and I liked that underlying social commentary. But I can't stand the constant splash pages, the killing off of so many characters that I know won't stick, and I especially did not like how it ended. So we got to see a man transform from human to Inhuman to Celestial and transcend from one plane of existence to another. Cool, but who cares? We met that character 7 issues ago, he barely had time to make an impact on me and now I'm supposed to care that he disappeared into the universe? Nah, I'm good.

So I'm done for a while. I have way too many comics on my "To Read" pile that have been denied attention for too long. Especially since I know the next crossover event is Monsters Unleashed and I never wanted anything to do with that.

It's weird, because I feel bad about this. I LOVE Marvel Comics, always have. They've just disappointed me for the last time (at least for a while). Only thing worth reading over there (in my own personal opinion) is Dan Slott's Clone Conspiracy (Slott has been killing it on Spider-Man, one of my favorite writers) and the Star Wars line. I'm also disappointed that I spent time and money on the last several Marvel events and didn't get into DC'S Rebirth which, from what I've heard, has been nothing short of terrific.

Anyone else find this with Civil War? Let me know in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment