Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Mid Year Comic Book Movie Review

So I'm in between vacations at the moment, and in between recording podcast episodes, so I thought I would do a different kind of post today.

The comic book movies (CBM) of 2016 were highly anticipated, and rightfully so! 2015 ended on a high note, with the release of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. I saw that movie 3 times in the theater, pre-ordered the blu-ray, watch it at least once a month, and now will watch it even more now that it's about to premiere on Starz.

2016 started with a bang too, and surprise bang. DEADPOOL was the highest grossing R Rated movie of all time when it opened in February. For long time fans like myself and my friends, we knew the potential the character had to utterly destroy at the box office. And the movie did not disappoint. Currently, DEADPOOL is ranked #1 best CBM of 2016. Disagree? I would love to hear why!



Then came, what was probably, THE MOST ANTICIPATED CBM of all time! Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, may have gotten comic fans very excited, but it was also the most disappointing movie of the year as well. I remember almost falling asleep in the theater while watching this! I couldn't believe it! I've talked about this movie and it's disappointing points enough, so I'll leave it there. I'm just still in awe about how a movie featuring a fight between Batman and Superman could be as boring and disappointing as it was.



So BvS:DoJ came out in March of 2016, but it was originally slated to premiere in 2015. WB Studios purposefully delayed the release so their movie wouldn't have to directly compete with AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON. However, the delay not only started the rumors of how bad BvS:DoJ was going to be, but also made the film compete with CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR. Civil War opened in April, and may not have been in direct competition with BvS:DoJ, but was (of course) immediately compared. I would say about 87% of fans had more positive things to say about Civil War. It was a much better movie and introduced some Marvel characters that we couldn't wait to see, like Black Panther, and Spider-Man! My pre-ordered blu-ray arrives next week! I really enjoyed Civil War and can't wait to watch it again, but it only ranks as #3 on my "Best of 2016, So Far" list.



Quick recap: #1 - Deadpool, #3 - Captain America: Civil War, #5 - Batman v. Superman.

The next release was the biggest and most pleasant surprise of the summer for me. X-MEN: APOCALYPSE renewed my faith in the X-Franchise. I haven't liked an X-Men movie since X2, and was really starting to hope for a franchise reboot. However, this latest X-Flick, was just great! I enjoyed every minute of it and really look forward to watching it again and again. Once I do, I'll be sure to post a full review. For now, I'm ranking X-MEN: APOCALYPSE at #2!



Last, but not least, was SUICIDE SQUAD, which it was released most recently in August. Ranked at #4, but if X-Men wasn't as surprising as it was, and Civil War wasn't as much fun as it was, Suicide Squad could have easily placed higher on this list. I enjoyed this movie. I am a big fan of escaping when I go to see a movie, and so unless a movie takes me completely out of the viewing experience (like Batman v. Superman did), I'm going to give it a positive review. Yes, there were a lot of problems with this movie, and at one point did feel like I was watching 2 different movies. BUT, I really did enjoy it. It was a fun summer movie, just not as good as most of the others.



So, the tally is
1. DEADPOOL
2. X-MEN: APOCALYPSE
3. CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR
4. SUICIDE SQUAD
5. BATMAN V. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE







How would you rate the CBM of 2016 so far?Let me know in the comments or tweet me @SuperNerdyNews

We've got 2 more CBMs this year. DOCTOR STRANGE is next, releasing in November. Doc Strange could easily be the best CBM of the year, it looks incredible and unlike anything else Marvel has done yet. I'm very excited for this and to see what kind of promotional stuff they'll have at NY Comic Con this year!

Last to release this year is ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY. I don't know about you, but I LOVE STAR WARS! I don't claim to be an expert in Star Wars knowledge though, because I haven't read or have watched even half of the stuff that's available. When Disney announced that they had purchased the rights and were releasing the next 3 episodes in the overall saga PLUS spin-off movies, I nearly shit my pants. I love the idea of expanding the Star Wars Universe, and Rogue One is Disney's first venture into that extended universe. So, once again thanks to Star Wars, 2016 should end on quite the high note.

Real quick, here's a glimpse of the movie releases for 2017:
March 3 - WOLVERINE 3
May 5 - GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2
June 2 - WONDER WOMAN
June 16 - KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE
June 23 - TRANSFORMERS: THE LAST KNIGHT
July 7 - SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING
November 3 - THOR: RAGNORAK
November 17 - JUSTICE LEAGUE
December 15 - STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII

I think 2017 looks even better than 2016! See ya next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment