Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Introducing - WHAT WOULD BATMAN DO??!!

There are moments in every person's life that make us look to another person as a guide to how to deal with the strange situations that life deals us. Some ask themselves "What Would Jesus Do", others model themselves after a historical figure, or pop culture idol, or sometimes even a fictional character. These figures or idols or whatever you want to call them, are examples of how we would like to see ourselves. Depending on your personality and what your personal goals are, this can be very effective and beneficial to yourself as well as others.

So, why am I asking, "What would Batman do?" or "WWBMD?"? Well, I didn't choose Batman, but more like discovered that I made decisions in a similar way that Batman might. Years ago, I worked for a restaurant, specifically in the banquet hall section. My job title contained TEAM LEADER, and so I was often looked at to lead my co-workers through private parties and corporate events. A lot of this involved reviewing the size of the party, what extras were needed (a bar, how many tables with how many settings, entertainment/presentations, special requests, etc...), pre-event set up, post-event clean up, prep work during the party, end of the shift reset (a reset meant that we would set the room up for the next party), and who was working which event. A lot of planning was involved in each shift, and I would find myself developing strategies and tactics in order to ensure a quick and successful event. We all wanted to get home as soon as possible, so a solid plan going into a shift always seemed to make the night easier. I found myself utilizing specific strengths of some team members in areas where others were weaker, while also developing the skills of the new or weaker team members in others.

I know what some might say, that these are just simple leadership and management techniques. Yeah, I know. But I like to think that I am tapping into something special, just like Batman does, OK? It's weird, and a little dumb, but it's also helps to keep up my self confidence and keep me from getting bored.

Also like Batman, I would be confronted with many obstacles in this job. From co-workers who didn't like me to management that didn't pay attention to our day-to-day operations, to guest requests that would keep my plans ever evolving. These obstacles felt like facing a villain who either had ulterior motives, or was simply an agent of chaos out to mess up my day.

I'm so glad I don't work there anymore! Hahahahahahaha!!! But I digress, because of my experiences there, I actively tried to use the same logic in my every day activities. From cleaning the house, to planning a weekend with my wife. In order to have the most productive experience, whether that was work or pleasure, I would think "WHAT WOULD BATMAN DO?"

Obviously, my personality and disposition heavily differs from Batman's, but that doesn't matter. My personal wants in life have a lot to do with how Batman is viewed. He is the "World's Greatest..." detective, martial artists, super hero (arguable). Now, while I'm not looking to be the "World's Greatest..." anything, I do want to be great at things and following how Batman might do something sounds like a good idea to me.

So what's the point of this post? Well, I thought it might be fun to take situations from comic books, movies, TV shows, or real life, and put a spin on it by asking WWBMD?

I've read stories of what Batman would do if he became a vampire. Or if had to come out of retirement and fought Superman. Or if he was chosen as Green Lantern instead of Hal Jordan. Or if Predator came to Gotham. Or if he had to face the Xenomorphs from Alien. Or if he had to face the Xenomorphs from Alien AND Predator! Or if he had to fight Darkseid one on one. Or if the DC Universe suddenly merged with the Marvel Universe. Or if he had to lead a banquet team through a private event with 300+ people eating a 3 course dinner. So there are an infinite amount of situations that Batman could possibly plan for.

What situation would you like to see Batman handle? Throw a character at me to face against Batman, or a real life situation or even a favorite movie plot that we can insert Batman into!

I opened the comments up on this blog so that you shouldn't have to sign up for an account to post anything. So post your comment here or on my Facebook page(s) or tweet me @SuperNerdyNews!

No comments:

Post a Comment