Thursday, July 28, 2016

Comic Book Television Shows - what to be excited for

I love the summer time. I love everything about it from being outside, going to the beach, the heat and humidity, complaining about the heat and humidity, and especially enjoying a cold beer during a hot day. My favorite thing about summer though has always been the trips to the beach. Not because I liked the ocean (I love the ocean), but because I love to read on the beach. I will pack a backpack full of all the comics, graphic novels, and regular novels that I want to read and bring them all with me. I don't get to them all, but I love the idea that I could. Ever since I was a kid and went on vacation with my family I would do this, and I still do. If I could, I would read all day long on a beach.

The end of summer is bitter sweet for me, because my hot days of reading are done for another year, BUT it also means that my favorite tv shows are back! And this year we have a lot to look forward to.

I'm not much of a fan of network television, but for the last few years DC & Warner Bros. Studios have been killing it on tv. Where they are lacking (a bit) in their movies, their tv universe is very good and very exciting. Let's take a quick look at who's involved and why they are making watching their shows so much fun.

It started with Arrow on the CW network. I enjoyed Arrow's first season, but quickly lost interest in Season 2. I'm not taking anything away from the people that followed the show beyond that, just saying I wasn't a fan. Green Arrow (whom the main character from ARROW is based on) wasn't someone I was particularly interested in to begin with. But the show offered a side entrance into the world of DC comic characters, I'll get more into that in a few.

After Arrow came the Flash, and this is where they started killing it on TV. The Flash tv show looks like it came right off of the pages of a Flash comic book. It introduced meta-humans (super powered beings of the DC Universe) both good and bad, and included some of Flash's iconic Rogue's Gallery like Captain Cold, Heatwave, and The Trickster (with Mark Hamill reprising his role)! The story lines came directly from major comic book issues. Like when Barry Allen meets Jay Garrick (the Flash of Earth 2) and the scene was shot to look almost exactly like the issue of Flash #123 from 1961.

They recreated this for the show! How cool is that!? As a comic book fan stuff like this is what I have always wanted to see! Season 2 just ended with a really fantastic finale and they hype for season 3 is high. The studio is teasing the Flashpoint storyline, which is very exciting. Quick summary of the Flashpoint plot: Flash travels back in time to change a single moment in his past. The fallout from that reverberates to the present day, changing nearly everything Barry Allen is familiar with. The Flashpoint Paradox is a great comic storyline, and I am super excited to see what the show does with it! Also teased is the first appearance of Wally West as Kid Flash, as well as the possible assemblance of the Justice Society of America (that would be the tv universe's version of the Justice League of America)! Lots of great stuff to look forward to here.

Next came Legends of Tomorrow. I have not personally seen this show, but I have been told it's pretty good. Basically this show came on the heels of the popularity of the Arrow/Flash crossover episodes. Arrow introduced us to other heroes like The Atom, while Flash gave us Hawkman and Hawkgirl. CW just brought them all together (without Arrow and Flash as series regulars) plus added a couple more for a series about time travel. Interesting concept, and could possibly lead to a Justice Society show. First season ended in the spring time, I think season 2 comes out this fall.

Then CBS launced Supergirl. I think this show has a lot of potential, especially now that it will be on CW and will in fact share the same universe as Arrow and The Flash. I am looking forward to catching up on season 1 when it's available on Netflix or wherever, but season 2 should be a lot of fun. They've also announced that Superman, yes THE SUPERMAN, will appear on a few episodes in season 2. They've casted him and everything. Don't expect Henry Caville though, he's the movie Superman (tv and movies are completely different universes. Once thought to be a dumb move on DC's part).

There's 1 more thing to consider with these DC comics properties. Now that DC has established a growing TV universe AND a growing movie universe; they are also in position to continue with one of their most well known tropes. The Multiverse. In the comics there have been several major crossover events that deal with multiple universes. It's possible that DC and Warner Bros. could be moving towards a CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS or INFINITE CRISIS situation, so that they can capitalize on  the populartity of their tv shows to help their movies. This is merely speculation, but I love the possibility!

Moving on to Marvel. If you have ever read the comments from comic fans on social media, then you'll know that the majority feels as though Marvel tv shows have been lacking. Really they're just referring to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (AoS) and I can partially agree. AoS is a pretty decent and fun show that helps to expand the MCU by connecting some of the events from the show to events from the movies. For example, after the events of Thor: The Dark World, the Agents were sent to the UK to collect the alien artifacts left behind. Just after Captain America: The Winter Soldier the show revealed what happened to Nick Fury. The show is also responsible for introducing us to the Inhumans, who are supposed to have their own movie around 2019 or 2020. Overall the show is only mediocre, but enjoyable nonetheless. AoS is not the only show that Marvel has to offer.

Netflix gave Marvel the opportunity to showcase some of their most popular and interesting heroes along with the level of violence necessary to tell their stories. Something network television could never do. Because Netflix is subscription based, it works a lot like HBO. They kind of make their own rules. Daredevil was perfectly done! Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock was perfect casting, and the first season introduced us to one of Marvel's greatest heroes and greatest villains: the Kingpin and the Hand. Season 2 gave upped the violence by introducing Frank Castle The Punisher and Elektra the deadly Ninja assassin. This was another show that took images directly from the comics. The scene in season 2 with Frank and Daredevil talking on a rooftop is pretty much word for word the same convo they have in the comic books. One of the best comic book conversations ever.

Next came Jessica Jones, another NYC hero that operated around the same neighborhood as Daredevil. Jessica Jones had the same gritty feel as Daredevil did, but added this layer of pyschological thriller that Daredevil could not. And that was all because of the villain, The Purple Man aka Zebidiah Killgrave. He has the ability to make people do what he wants, by planting suggestions in their brains that they cannot control. In my opinion, he's the best villain the MCU has given us so far and Jessica was the perfect foil for him. While his abilities were mental and pyschological, her's were physical. She's super strong, super tough and can fly a little bit, and we learn quickly that not all of your problems can be solved by throwing someone through a wall.

Jessica Jones also introduced us to the next neighborhood hero that will have their own Netflix series. Luke Cage will debut in September and I can't freaking wait! I love Luke Cage! He operates out of Harlem and cares about his neighborhood immensely. His powers include super human strength and unbreakable skin. If Marvel continues to mirror their shows after their comics, then it's possible to think that Cage could move on from tv to the movies no problem. Here's a possibility that I'm excited about: in the comics, Luke Cage actually becomes the leader of the Avengers for a while. I'd love to see that happen in like Phase 4 or something.

Some teases we got for the future of Marvel tv is Iron Fist (Luke Cage's partner from HEROES FOR HIRE) aka Danny Rand, played by the same dude who played Ser Loras Tyrell in Game of Thrones: Finn Jones. Iron Fist is about a man taught to be an amazing martial artist who controls the mystic power of the Iron Fist. It's Americanized Kung-Fu. very exciting.

Marvel's Netflix series are building toward a team series just like their solo movies built towards the Avengers movie. The team show is called The Defenders, and will team up Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Daredevil and possibly the Punisher. I think the series will possibly tie into the events of the next Avengers movie, tentatively titled Infinity War Part 1.

There are as many as 60 different Marvel projects in various stages of production at Netflix, including The Punisher's own series and a Cloak & Dagger series! Both should be very entertaining. I hope to see a Moon Knight series in the future too!

So who has the better shows? I don't know. That's all personal preference. My favorites are The Flash, Daredevil and Jessica Jones, and I'm super excited for Flash Season 3 and Luke Cage and then Iron Fist! There's just so much to be excited for!

Thanks for reading! Tomorrow is another FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS and I'm still taking requests for characters. I've done Jean Grey vs. Darth Vader and Cyclops vs. Wolverine. Who would you like to see fight it out? Let me know @SuperNerdyNews and be sure to like my Super Nerdy News facebook page so you can stay up to date with my posts, here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/supernerdynews/&ved=0ahUKEwi74ZOA0JbOAhXEdj4KHTWGAM8QFggfMAI&usg=AFQjCNHn2EDyr45FDBKPtp76wiZey09-Sg&sig2=zkGHLNunHN1N0Zov_w1EXg

No comments:

Post a Comment